LASIK eye surgery is a very common procedure done for the correction of refractive errors like myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. It is a type of laser-assisted surgery that is relatively painless and takes only 30 minutes.
Though surgical treatment is getting popular, some people are still afraid to undergo LASIK eye surgery. So, today, we will learn about the LASIK eye surgery procedure in detail so that you can get the peace of mind that it is a safe and effective method of treatment for blurry vision.
Basics of LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK stands for laser in situ keratomileusis. It involves using a highly precise laser to reshape the cornea and refocus the light entering the retina properly. LASIK surgery is an outpatient procedure that provides instant results. Most people who undergo LASIK eye surgery are able to restore their 20/20 vision.
However, the actual results of LASIK usually vary from person to person. That’s why it is always important to discuss your expectations from the doctor and understand the extent to which LASIK can help you.
Now, let’s get into the details of the LASIK eye surgery procedure.
Prepare For LASIK Eye Surgery
Before the day of surgery finally arrives, you need to start preparing for the procedure in advance. It involves taking the following steps:
- Get thoroughly examined so that the doctor can check your pupil, cornea, and other eye components. The assessment will also help the doctor to determine how to mitigate the risks associated with the procedure.
- Get your eyes mapped so that the doctor has proper information about your cornea during the surgery.
- Stop wearing contact lenses two weeks before the procedure and switch to eyeglasses.
- Take your prescribed medications without fail to make sure that you are ready for the surgery.
In many cases, surgical procedures like LASIK can be worrisome as the vision is at risk. But the doctor will provide you guidance and information on how the procedure works so that you can feel at ease before the surgery.
The use of laser during LASIK eye surgery is very short. The laser takes less than a minute per eye to do its work. However, it is the preparation that takes longer. Here is the step-by-step procedure that is followed during LASIK:
- The doctor starts by putting numbing drops in the eyes so that you don’t feel any kind of pain or discomfort during the procedure. The eye drops also make your eyes relax.
- A special tool called lid speculum is used to keep your eyes open during the procedure.
- After that, a suction ring is put on the eye to prevent random eye movements and loss of contact that can negatively affect the corneal flap.
- Once everything is put in place, the surgeon will use a laser or a small blade to cut a tiny hinged flap in the cornea. This gives the eye surgeon access to the cornea that needs reshaping.
- The laser beam is controlled by a computer and the eye prescription is also set so that the laser can adjust the shape of the cornea automatically.
- You need to look straight at the light to keep your eyes fixed. Once activated, the laser will start reshaping the cornea by cutting away tiny sections of the cornea until it is perfectly shaped.
*Note- While the laser operates, you will hear a clicking sound that may make you uncomfortable. Besides that, you may also get a smell like burning hair while the cornea is being cut which is completely normal.
- Once the surgeon believes that your cornea is properly shaped, the cornea flap will be placed back without any stitches as it is most likely to heal on its own over time.
That’s how the LASIK surgery procedure works. The laser operates only for a few minutes to reshape your cornea with precision. You don’t even have to worry about moving your eyes unintentionally during the procedure. If your eyes move, the laser will stop automatically to prevent damaging other components of the eye.
As you can see, LASIK eye surgery is a quick and safe procedure that doesn’t hurt at all. Still, the success of the procedure depends primarily on the skills of the eye surgeon. So, if you want to undergo LASIK for the correction of refractive errors safely, you should always rely on an experienced surgeon with a good reputation. You can find highly experienced LASIK eye surgeons at Pristyn Care easily and get advanced treatment from them at a reasonable price too.
What to expect after LASIK Eye Surgery?
After the surgery, you will need someone to take you home and handle all other formalities regarding your treatment. Your eyes will also feel itchy for a while once the numbness goes away.
Despite the slight irritation or itchiness in the eyes, your vision will improve within 24 to 48 hours. To provide relief, the doctor will prescribe some pain medications and eye drops to prevent inflammation and dry eyes. An eye protection gear will also be provided that you will have to wear during sleeping. This will make sure that you don’t poke or rub your eyes while asleep.
While your vision will improve within a few days, the flap will take longer to heal completely. The eye doctor will provide you detailed instructions for after-care to ensure that your recovery goes smoothly. Also, make sure that you follow up with your doctor after the procedure to monitor your recovery.
The Bottom Line
LASIK eye surgery is an effective procedure to treat blurry vision caused by refractive errors. It works for most people and helps them to restore their vision without any complications. If you also want to get the LASIK eye treatment, consult an eye specialist today. Understand that not every person is a good candidate for LASIK eye surgery. Therefore, it is important that you get properly examined and consult an experienced eye surgeon.