World Oceans Day is observed every year on 8 June in order to drag everyone attention towards the conditions of oceans nowadays. At the Earth Summit – UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the first ever concept of World Oceans Day was proposed by the Canada’s International Centre for Ocean Development (ICOD) and the Ocean Institute of Canada (OIC) in the year 1992.
World Oceans Day 2020
The purpose and goals of the day from its first celebration were to move the oceans from the side-lines to the centre of the international governments and NGO concerns and policy in order to make more stronger voice of the ocean as well as coastal constituencies globally.
Why World Oceans Day is celebrated?
World Oceans Day is an annual observation which is celebrated in order to respect, help and safeguard, and also to preserve and conserve the world’s oceans. The ocean provides us countless resources as well as services such as oxygen, climate regulation, food sources, medicine, and much more and we people on the other hand are destroying it by polluting the oceans.
Therefore, World Oceans Day provides us a golden chance in order to take personal as well as community action so that we can protect the ocean and its resources before it’s too late.
When will be “World Oceans Day” and what is the theme this year?
This year in 2020, the World Oceans Day is going to be celebrated on 8th June 2020, Saturday and the theme for World Oceans Day 2020 is “Gender and Oceans”.
World Oceans Day Themes
The themes of World Oceans Day from the year 2010 to 2020 are:
The theme of World Oceans Day 2010 was “Our Oceans: Opportunities and Challenges”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2011 was “Our Oceans: greening our future”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2012 was “UNCLOS @ 30”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2013 was “Oceans & People”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2014 was “Ocean Sustainability: Together let’s ensure oceans can sustain us into the future”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2015 was “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2016 was “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2017 was “Our Oceans, Our Future”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2018 was “Clean our Ocean!”
The theme of World Oceans Day 2019 is “Gender and Oceans”
Inspirational Quotes to Celebrate World Oceans Day
“Being out there in the ocean, God’s creation, it’s like a gift He has given us to enjoy”. – Bethany Hamilton
To me the sea is a continual miracle; The fishes that swim–the rocks–the motion of the waves–the ships, with men in them. What stranger miracles are there? – Walt Whitman
We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. – Mother Teresa
“You can either see yourself as a wave in the ocean or you can see yourself as the ocean”. -Oprah Winfrey
“For each of us, then, the challenge and opportunity is to cherish all life as the gift it is, envision it whole, seek to know it truly, and undertake—with our minds, hearts and hands—to restore its abundance. It is said that where there’s life there’s hope, and so no place can inspire us with more hopefulness than that great, life-making sea—that singular, wondrous ocean covering the blue planet.” —Carl Safina
“Everything we do, even the slightest thing we do, can have a ripple effect and repercussions that emanate. If you throw a pebble into the water on one side of the ocean, it can create a tidal wave on the other side”. – Victor Webster
“We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch, we are going back from whence we came.” —John F. Kennedy
World Ocean Day Sayings 2020
The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch – we are going back from whence we came… ~John F. Kennedy
Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away. ~Sarah Kay
World Ocean Day Messages with Pictures And Images
Happy Ocean Day Messages & Status
1. Always remember the power of one…. Each one of us can contribute in saving our oceans…. No effort is insignificant, no drop of water is too small, no good intention is too weak…. Let us join hands to bring the change…. Happy World Oceans Day.
2. Oceans are not mere bodies of water, they are the source of life on Earth, they are the source of oxygen for us…. Time has come to protect them and save them…. Warm wishes to you on World Oceans Day.
3. World Oceans Day is the reminder that oceans are the most beautiful and most precious creation of Almighty and we must respect them and save them to make our lives happier.
4. Oceans are a nexus…. A bond between continents, their people, their culture and their life…. Let us value this connection and work to save them…. Sending best wishes to you on World Oceans Day.
5. It was very thoughtful of God to create oceans to give us healthier, happier and fun-filled lives but it is very mean of us to not take care of them and spoil them for our benefits. Let us work to protect them. Happy World Oceans Day.
6. Sea is the ocean of miracles…. Its beauty and surprises are breathtaking…. Every wave, every tide, every beach charges our lives…. Wake up and work hard to save the most amazing creation of God. Best wishes on World Oceans Day.
7. Earth will never be the same if our oceans will not be there….. They are the source of life and source of hope for us…. Let us join hands to protect them…. Let us join hands to save them…. Happy World Oceans Day.
8. The stretch and depth of the ocean define life….. Don’t let the life in the sea die because of our wrong actions. World Oceans Day is the day which reminds us of our duties and responsibilities towards oceans.
9. A look at the sea calms your mind and soul….. A swim in the sea soothes you body….. Such soothing is the effect of oceans that we consider unimportant…. On World Oceans Day, promise ourselves to save oceans!!!
10. Each and every drop of water has the power to swell the heart of ocean…. Promise to never waste it and always value it for a better life…. Warm wishes to you on World Oceans Day.